Sunday, October 2, 2011

I've Been Thinking of You

"For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." -Matthew 6:21


"Twas her thinking of others made you think of her." -Elizabeth Browning



I've been thinking of you.

I mean, I have a lot on my plate.  Plenty of very important distractions, you know.  Pressing chain emails to perpetuate, online banking accounts to *ahem* balance, photos to upload, songs to download, favorite Youtube clips to forward, smart phones with which to fiddle, blogs to peruse (oh, the irony) and twitters to, um...tweet.

But through it all, I find my thoughts consistently bending gently in your direction.

I think about hopes you've shared with me, about experiences we've braved together, about the tremendous good you have brought into my life.  I think about how you manage to bring out the best in me.  To quote an ancient prophet, "I am mindful of you always in my prayers." (Moroni 8:3)  I pray for your successes and happiness, both just as sweet to me as if they were my own.

You might be a parent, a spouse, a child or a friend.  You might be sitting on the couch next to me or waking up on the far side of the world.  Perhaps we saw each other just yesterday.  Perhaps we haven't locked eyes in years.  But with desire and practice, thinking of your well-being before my own becomes instinctive.  Being "mindful of you" makes considerate service effortless, makes sincere gestures natural, makes the sweet moments of life all the more frequent.

Thank you for shielding me from the despairing darkness of a self-absorbed life.

Thank you for gracefully introducing me to the, light, the hope and the joy that come from truly living that divine counsel of old:

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." -John 15:13





No comments:

Post a Comment