Sunday, September 11, 2011

Facebook: A Fickle Friendship Facilitator

"Facebook is like jail.  You sit around and waste time, write on walls and get poked by people you don't know" -Unknown

"In Facebook, it's easier to 'Like' than to 'Comment.'  In real life, it's easier to 'Like' than to 'Commit.'"

All in all, Mark Zuckerberg's a pretty smart guy.

Thanks to him and like-minded social media networking programmers, we've never been able to keep in touch with so many friends at once.  We've never been able to reconnect more easily, organize events more quickly, or solicit happy birthday wishes more effectively.

In that vein, a friend, Mr. John Headley, recently shared a very thought-provoking article about double-edged social sword that we call "Facebook:"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204660604574370450465849142.html


Mr. Headley contributed the following insights on the above article:


"I look at facebook and social netowrking sites as simply another prism through which to view the real world. To a certain degree, I actually think it makes life more intimate, but potentially more harsh. I remember when chat rooms first came out, a great many inhibitions were lost because you were basically talking out into a void. You knew people were on the other end, but you expected you'd never contact them again, and outside of a user name, they knew nothing else about you. So naturally, you said things you might never have said if it had been in the context of an in-person relationship.

"Facebook is different from that. You know who people are, and you can decide who you continue to share information with. It's really hard for me to say it's been better or worse. I mean, if I had to confine myself to the personal relationships in my immediate physical space, I'm not sure what my life would be like. Maybe less vain. I think the ability to go and seek out an entire universe of people basically anywhere to engage in personal relationships with makes a person more picky, less compromising, and more selfish.

"To a certain extent, I suppose its important to know one's self, one's strengths and weaknesses, what your propensities are. As long as there's a light at the end of the tunnel where you're actually putting it to the service of others, I don't think it's necessarily bad. But there's the darker, more self-indulgent aspect of it that needs to be reigned in. There's no doubting that we're different people because of it, but whether it is good or bad is up to us."

No comments:

Post a Comment